RULES OF THE EAST GLAMORGAN CHESS ASSOCIATION
1. This Association shall be called the East Glamorgan Chess Association.
2. The object of the Association shall be to encourage and promote chess, particularly between clubs and individuals in Mid and South Glamorgan, to affiliate to the Welsh Chess Union, and to participate as a zone of the WCU in Welsh Chess activities.
3. The Association shall consist of members who have paid subscriptions through clubs in the area, unattached members, and honorary life members.
4. The membership subscriptions payable shall be fixed at an Annual or Special General Meeting of the Association.
5. The Executive Committee of the Association shall consist of the Chairman of the Association, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Executive Director of the League and Rules Director, to be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting. The Executive Committee shall have power to co-opt.
6. Other officers of the Association who shall also be elected annually at the AGM are a Match Captain, Rating Officer, Knock-out Cup Secretary.
7. The Annual General Meeting shall also elect delegates to the following Welsh Chess Union Committees:
(i) Home (ii) International (iii) Development
(iv) Publicity (v) Junior (vi) Ladies’.
The delegate to the WCU Junior Committee shall also act as Junior organiser for the Association.
The delegate to the WCU International Committee shall also act as WCU selector for the Association.
The delegate to the WCU Publicity Committee shall also act as the Association’s Publicity Officer.
8. (a) The Committee of the Association shall consist of the officers and delegates mentioned in rules 5,6 and 7, and one voting representative of each club having paid-up members. (Other members of such clubs will be allowed to attend in a non-voting capacity at the discretion of the Chairman.)
No individual shall have more than one vote; and members of the Committee shall not vote in disputes involving their own club.
(b) The committee shall have power to co-opt.
(c) Seven days notice in writing must be given to officers and club secretaries, of the business to be transacted at a committee meeting.
9. The Chairman or Secretary of the Association may call a Committee meeting or Special General meeting of the Association at any time and shall be bound to do so if requested to in writing by at least 15 signatories from members representing at least 3 clubs. Such a meeting shall be held within 6 weeks of the request, and shall only consider the motion requested.
10. The Association shall hold an Annual General Meeting during May or June each year at such time and place as shall be fixed by the Committee.
11. All members of the Association shall be entitled to attend and vote at any General Meetings, and other than Rule 15(d)(e) any Special Meeting shall have the same power as an Annual General Meeting.
The Chairman of the meeting shall only have a casting vote.
12. At least three weeks before the date of each Annual or Special General Meeting, the secretary of the Association shall send to all officers and delegates of the Association and to the secretaries of all clubs and unattached members of the Association, a notice specifying the time fixed for such meeting, and the business to be transacted there.
13. (a) At an Annual or Special General Meeting of the Association, any twelve members who are there shall form a quorum.
(b) Five members shall form a quorum at a committee meeting.
14. Notices of motions (which must include a proposer and seconder) and other items for discussion at the Annual General Meeting shall be sent to the secretary by the preceding 1st May. These will be discussed and may be amended at a committee meeting in May, prior to the AGM. Amendments will only be allowed if they are minor changes to the proposal or are necessary to improve or clarify any wording.
15. The business of the Annual General Meeting shall include the following:
(a) Election of the Officers and Delegates of the Association as indicated in Rules 5, 6 and 7.
(b) Presentation of the duly audited accounts for the preceding year by the Treasurer.
(c) Election of (i) a Vice President to WCU (ii) an auditor.
(d) Consideration of any proposed changes to the “Rules of Play for Inter-Club League Matches” which may only be changed at an Annual General Meeting, this by a simple majority.
(e) Consideration of any proposed changes to these rules which may only be altered, abrogated, or added to by a two-thirds majority at an Annual General Meeting.
16. The Association’s financial year shall commence on 1st June.
Membership fees shall fall due as decided by a General Meeting, and any club which has failed to pay membership fees including any late fees by 31st December will be deemed to have withdrawn from the Association.
17. The Association, through the Committee shall arrange an annual league competition, which shall be supervised by the Executive Director of the League, and other such competitions and functions that the Committee shall decide. These will be notified to the secretaries of the clubs as appropriate
18. It shall be the duty of each club secretary to notify the Secretary of the Association of his/her name, address and such information as may reasonably be required, and to inform the Ex.D. in good time how many teams his club will be entering in the League.
19. Clubs may apply to the secretary of the Association to become members by sending relevant information. If it is appropriate that they enter the League, they must enter in the lowest Division.
20. The EG Executive Committee shall have the right to expel or suspend any member or club, whose actions in their opinion justify it. The Zonal Vice President shall not be present whilst discussion leading to such an event is taking place at an EG Executive committee meeting. Such decision and the reasons for it shall be conveyed in writing by the Secretary to the member or club concerned. Any member or club thus expelled or suspended shall have a right to appeal to an Appeals Committee of the Association whose function will be to consider and determine such appeals in a fair and impartial manner, and whose decision as far as the Association is concerned will be final. The Zonal Vice President who shall take no other part in the appeal process within the zone, shall select an Appeals Committee comprising three impartial members of the Association.
The procedure for appealing shall be by giving written notice to the Secretary within 28 days of the notification of the EG Executive Committee’s decision. The appellant shall have a right to include in the notice of the appeal, a request for a personal hearing (in the case of a club, by its secretary or other nominated person) which, when exercised, shall be met by the Appeals Committee and the appellant given not less than 14 days notice of the Appeals Committee meeting at which the appeal will be considered.
The secretary shall
(a) provide members of the Appeals Committee with copies of his original letter and the appellant’s written appeal.
(b) attend the Appeal Committee only to take minutes and give advice if required on any interpretation regarding rules
(c) communicate the Appeal Committee’s decision in writing to the EG Executive Committee and the appellant.